Sunday, October 05, 2008

BYOP Party!



You may wonder, "What is a BYOP party?" Well, I will tell you it is a Bring Your Own Pumpkin party. Chris and I are excited to be throwing a pre-Halloween party for friends and family. We will be doing pumpkin carving, or painting. Eating pumpkin bread and yummy treats. We are going make sugar cookies and maybe even award prizes to those who deserve them. We went to Wal-Mart yesterday before our dinner with Father Jim and got some fun decorations and supplies for the party. We will take lots of pictures and I'm sure we will have some fun stories to tell!

The dinner went well last night. I am sorry to report that he is feeling like he is a nuisance at our ward because he cannot get his questions answered. It makes me sad that we as church member can make others feel badly like that. He knows a lot about the bible which makes sense since he was a Catholic Minister for many years and went through Eight Years of schooling to do so. One of the problems that he is having is that we as members are not always the best speakers. To which my response is that it is just members who get up and talk, most are not trained public speakers. His next question was "well then why doesn't your church offer a class to help the members improve their speaking skills?" What a good idea! We talked a lot about the differences in beliefs between Mormon Doctrine and Catholic Doctrine. It was good conversation, no arguments, no bashing or unkind picking apart of doctrine. I learned a lot and was able to share some of what I believe, it was a wonderful opportunity. I am very thankful for it.

No comments: