Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Optometry School Widow

When we went to Chris's interview day for Optometry school I was able to talk to a few people about what it was like to be the spouse of someone in Optometry school. The general response was that I needed to be prepared to loose my husband for a few years (mainly the first 2 and the 4th year). Then I heard a few people use the term Optometry school widow, I kinda brushed it off and figured, yeah he'll be busy but we will still see him...

Boy oh boy am I finding out quickly that I was wrong. In order for him to do well he is going to be gone all the time. When I need him to do something I have to accept the fact that he will be neglecting something that he should be doing for school. It is hard. For example I had a dentist appointment today because I have some teeth that NEED attention, and that meant that he had to be home and take care of the kids for a couple hours, which meant he lost out on valuable study time for his quiz over 50 drugs. This was after we only saw him for 1.5hours for dinner last night and then he went back to school until after 9pm. It is hard for me to know that the few times I need him around it will still be negatively impacting school. Now I won't see him until after 8 sometime, he can't go back to my families this weekend.

Now I am kinda complaining but mostly reflecting. It is a lot of work for him, I am proud of him for working so hard. I also know how much it kills him to be gone so much. So for now I am just trying to adjust to being an optometry widow. Even my dentist asked how I liked being an optometry widow at my appointment this morning, so I know I am not the only one!

No comments: