Monday, September 26, 2011

A Little Reminder (Warning- Long and kind of whiny at points)

So Chris and I have been in sort of a slump, life has just seemed extra hard this semester. The kids I have in daycare are great but we are not full and then we found out one of our full time kids is going part time on us, so we have been a little worried about money, Chris has a load of tough science courses this semester (he is gone a lot), I have just been exhausted (growing a baby will do that), I could keep going but I honestly don't want to think about it all right now. This has really made life sad and killed our motivation for anything church related, it just seems to push our to do list up and over the top. Don't get me wrong, we know we have so much to be thankful for, and we are not pouting all day about this stuff, it just builds up and every once in a while we have ourselves a little pity party. I have been trying to figure out how all these other families survive while going through school... I just don't get it, if you are in school or your husband and you have kids how do you make it? What do you live off of?
So Chris and I were talking about all these things and more and just kinda having a tough week last week. Well I think Heavenly Father saw our needs and met as many of them as he could, because last week we had a package from each of our Mom's containing some needed items, our home teachers and visiting teachers come, and well Matthew was in extra high spirits and it is hard to stay sad with him around!
Then Saturday I went to the Stake Service project and Women's Broadcast. Let me tell you that was exactly what I needed. President Dieter F. Uchdorf who is the second counselor in the first presidency gave a talk on exactly what I needed to hear, it was amazing, it really was because he managed to address every worry and concern that I currently had. I left feeling a whole lot better about myself, my struggles, and my life. Here is a little snippet, if you did not hear this amazing and inspiring talk please go to lds.org and listen to it, he talks about the five petals of the forget me not flower and what they can represent to us. Truly five things I need to remember each and every day!

The Power of Knowing “Why”

My dear sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not an obligation; it is a pathway, marked by our loving Father in Heaven, leading to happiness and peace in this life and glory and inexpressible fulfillment in the life to come. The gospel is a light that penetrates mortality and illuminates the way before us.
While understanding the “what” and the “how” of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the “why.” When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet.
Let us not walk the path of discipleship with our eyes on the ground, thinking only of the tasks and obligations before us. Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us.
My dear sisters, seek out the majesty, the beauty, and the exhilarating joy of the “why” of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The “what” and “how” of obedience marks the way, yes, and it keeps us on the right path. But the “why” of obedience sanctifies our actions, transforming the mundane into the majestic. It magnifies our small acts of obedience into holy acts of consecration.
—President Dieter F. Uchtdorf


2 comments:

Naomi Jackson said...

That's really great Steph. I totally understand how you feel, as Gary and I feel this way a lot, and we don't even have half the obligations you guys do! I too often wonder how everyone does it, and I guess the short answer is through the grace of Heavenly Father. Anyways, know that you are loved, and keep remembering to be happy! It'll all work out in the end!

Shannon J said...

Sorry to hear your having a rough time Stephanie. Being in college right now just plain sucks. The economy is such a downer. I never was able to comprehend how people got by but I do know a lot of people live off help from the government (grants, food stamps, section 8 housing, energy assistance, etc). Not saying it's bad, just saying people utilize those resources. Anyways, keep that chin up. Glad you enjoyed the conference.