Friday, February 25, 2011

Bye Bye....

So on Wednesday night I started getting this bad stomach ache, I decided that since it was bedtime I should just take some Tums and go to sleep. I was able to get to sleep but kept waking up during the night because my stomach hurt so bad. It just hurt all over so I couldn't tell what the problem was. In the morning I was still convinced that I just had some sort of tummy bug or gas, so I tried Tums again, nothing. I was struggling to take care of Matthew because I was so uncomfortable. So I put him down for a nap, mostly because that was all I could do. Then I tried Pepto-Bismal that did nothing besides taste bad. During this whole time I had no interest in food and that is very strange for me, usually when I have a stomach bug or feel sick I crave chocolate (healthy I know) but I didn't want anything. So I was laying on the couch at about 1:30pm and feeling terribly, and decided that Chris was right and I should call the Doctor, I really wished Chris was home to take me to the Doctor. But then when I called the doctors office to schedule an appointment the nurse asked what was going on and I told her. She told me to find someone to take me to the emergency room at Pullman Regional Hospital, because it was probably my appendix and they wouldn't be able to do anything.  So then I decided that I should call Chris and get him out of class, I called 3 times in a row and he finally answered because he knows if I keep calling that it is something serious. I told him I needed to go to the ER because my stomach was not getting any better and I had noticed the pain locating itself on my right side (which is why I finally called the Dr.). I got Matthew ready and drove to the institute to meet Chris I didn't want to wait all the time it would take for him to ride the bus home (almost an hour). We went to the ER and they did a CT Scan, which showed what they thought was fluid from an ovarian cyst (which I had never had before) but they couldn't clearly see my appendix and they didn't think the cyst would cause the pain that I was having, because it should have been distributed equally through my lower abdomen. So then they call the surgeon in and he looked at the scan and did his own exam and said he was sure it was the appendix, but that they could do another CT Scan to try and confirm, he didn't think it would show anything definitive because it was really hard to see my appendix because of its position.  So I told him that he should just schedule the surgery if he feels strongly that it is the appendix and that the 2nd CT scan wouldn't show anything definitive anyways. So he called in the OR Staff and I was going to go into surgery within 45 minutes (about 7pm). Chris at this point was gone taking care of Matthew and bringing him over to our friends house so that they could watch him for us. So I had to make the decision by myself but I prayed about it and felt comfortable with my decision.  About 10 minutes before they were going to come get me, we got bumped due to an emergency C-Section (babies come first, I hope the baby and mom are okay, I was glad that the OR was staffed and ready to go for her). At this point Chris gave me a priesthood blessing, which I was grateful for. Then the surgeon had us go do the second CT Scan since we were waiting anyways. After the CT scan they came in and said that I was going into surgery in about 15 minutes. We asked about the results of the CT scan and he said it was inconclusive but that he still was sure it was my appendix. So they took me into surgery and when he got in there he checked my ovary and it was okay, apparently the fluid was related to my appendix being swollen and infected. They took the appendix out, cleaned and stitched me up.
Everyone at the hospital was very nice and I was comfortable the whole time. I had a nice sized room, with great doctors and nurses, that was a blessing and made my stay very nice. I am thankful that everything went smoothly. Now I just have to recover from the surgery. They cut through my belly button and let me tell you it is very sore, even the strong pain medications don't cut the pain.
Luckily my Mom is here now and will be helping until I am back to usual and able to take care of my little boy!

2 comments:

Shannon J said...

I'm so sorry to hear you were sick Stephanie. I'm glad your mom is there to help. Is there anything I can do to help? I can bring a meal or something... let me know!

Lisa said...

Oh no! I'm glad everything went well and they were able to get your appendix out. So sorry you had to go through that, but glad that your mom is there to help! Feel well!