Wednesday, February 09, 2011

a LONG process...

The past few months I have been really thinking hard about making changes in my life, mainly habits surrounding food and exercise. I know those are two very large parts of life, but they are two parts of my life that I have been consistently falling short of my goals. I want to improve my diet and exercise regularly but I have not done much about it, at least not much consistently.
Then last night I went to a relief society activity where they had a few classes, I went to a nutrition and exercise class, and a massage class. Much of what we talked about regarding exercise I already knew, and I learned a lot of that information in high school while running cross country. As far as nutrition goes I feel a little more informed but still feel like I am reaching in the dark as I try to figure out how to help myself and my family make better food choices.
I went home feeling like I CAN make the next step, like it was time to stop thinking and talking and to just DO. I can talk about it forever and just continue feeling like crap, or I can make the changes that I want to make and start feeling better. This is not going to be easy, I am going to have to train myself to get up in the morning and go exercise (I did this morning!), and I am going to have to re-train myself and my eating habits. I was thinking about nutrition and last night it was said that "food is functional" and that phrase is really important to remember. Food has a purpose and it is to fuel your body. If you think about a computer, when you buy software, most people are not going to go out and buy software that makes their computer run terrible. You are going to shop around and find the best software that you can get for your computer to keep in running properly. That is how I need to think about food. A treat now and then is okay, even fats and sugars play a role in the human body functioning properly. It is about balance and moderation, and I think bigger than that is planning. Sitting out and looking at the schedule for the week and planning a menu, and scheduling in exercise ect.  
This is my new goal, I am going to take action so that I can feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am going to start taking care of myself, I need to take care of myself, so I can take better care of my family and my new business. I am posting this so that I will be held accountable for my plan, I am going to design a blog where I will post my menu, and exercise journal. I am in the worst shape I have ever been in, and I am going to fix that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am on the same quest. One magazine that really helped me was "Clean Eating". It really taught me how to cut out a lot of processed foods.
Heather