Monday, March 26, 2012

Picture of a Starving Child....

Since Matthew was about 6 months old he has been between the 4th and 10th percentiles for weight and the 40th and 50th for height. Every once in awhile we run across a Doctor or Nurse who uses that as a reason to question everything that we do. Now I understand that they are concerned because he doesn't weigh a ton, he is small. However the boy is Learning, Healthy, and Active! 
I felt like I was being treated like I don't know what I am doing. I kept calm and explained his eating habits, his activity level, and everything feeling like I had to plead my case. I hate feeling the need to defend myself as a parent because I do not feel inadequate and if I was concerned about his weight I would bring it up.
At the end she simply said it sounds like you know what your doing so I will just make a note that he is petite. Seriously, what were you going to do otherwise? Really I am not sure about some people. Maybe it is how she said it, maybe it came out wrong, maybe I'm being a grumpy pregnant lady and interpreting and remembering it all worse than it was?
I'm still shaking my head at the whole situation... RiDIcUloUS!

1 comment:

Becky Bell said...

That would make me really annoyed, luckily our doctors have been really good and have all just accepted the fact that Libby is just petite. I'm usually more worried than they are about her weight. Hopefully when you move you have a better experience.